Hello, LIT International Office has detected that you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. If possible we strongly urge you to update your browser or switch over to Chrome or Firefox so you can enjoy the full user experience of our website and avail of all the features!
Close This Message'
LIT International

Question 1: Are there scholarships available for international students?

LIT has academic scholarships available to those who have displayed excellent academic performance, more information is available here.


Question 2: Is there a bus route to the city near the campus?

The 302 bus operates from directly outside of the college to the city centre regularly. A timetable is available here.


Question 3: Can I work part-time while I’m studying at LIT?

If you are attending a course on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP) you will have stamp number 2 endorsed on your passport when you register with your local immigration officer. You will be allowed to take up casual employment of up to 20 hours part-time work per week in term time or up to 40 hours per week during college vacation periods, that is, from June to September inclusive and from 15 December to 15 January. Your entitlement to take up employment ceases when your permission to remain expires.

If you are not attending such a course, you will not be entitled to take up part-time work or engage in any business or profession. You will get stamp number 2A on your passport.

You can read information on employment rights of part-time workers in Ireland here.


Question 4: Do I need a visa to study in Ireland?

Non-EU Student Applicants must apply for a visa to the Embassy of Ireland or the Consulate in their home country. It is the responsibility of the applicant to organise a study visa prior to arrival in Ireland. If the applicant is offered a place at the Institute, they must submit all required documentation in order to apply for a study visa. It is important to remember that this process can take several months and you should allow for this when you are planning your admission date. More information can be found here.


Question 5: Do I need to register with immigration in Ireland?

Non-EU students hoping to come to Ireland to study for more than 90 days have to, by law, register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).  All students who require a GNIB card will be able to register for one during their orientation week at LIT.


Question 6: Where can I get medical insurance?

For International students coming to LIT, the international office have arranged a discounted offer for an insurance plan with an Irish company. To find out avail of this offer contact international@lit.ie

For outgoing students there are may insurance providers, below are a few insurance providers details:


Oaktree Financial Services: Contact Adrian Godwin for a quotation via phone (1890 876 077) or e-mail students@oaktreefinancial.ie.

O’Driscoll O’Neilhttp://www.odon.ie

Halligan Insurances: http://student.halligan.ie/product/medicert/

Voluntary Health Insurance Healthcare (VHI): http://www.vhi.ie

Laya Healthcare: http://www.layahealthcare.ie

Aviva Europe: http://www.aviva.ie/online/health



Question 7: Can anyone get a European Health Insurance Card?

As resident of Europe you are entitled to get healthcare through the public system in countries of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay there. It is important for all European students to get a European Health Insurance Card before they come to study in Ireland. more information can be found here.


Question 8: Is there accommodation close to the LIT campus?

LIT recommends Cratloe Wood Student Village as our preferred supplier of accommodation for International Students at the Moylish campus.

Grove Island Student Village is a popular choice for students of LSAD however it books out very early each year. Cratloe Wood Student Village is also a suitable option for students of LSAD as a bus serves outside of the village to the centre of Limerick city, a short walk from the Clare St. Campus.

Each year a list of established host families and other accommodation providers is compiled by the  International office. This is shared with international students coming to our Thurles and Clonmel campuses.


Question 9: What is a PPSN?

This is your Personal Public Service number provided by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. All enrolled students with an Irish Nationality must provide this number. All non-Irish Nationals living and working in Ireland must provide this number also. The majority of Non-EU applicants will not have a PPSN number and may leave this blank.

If you do not know your PPS number or do not have a number, please contact the Department of Social & Family Affairs at (01) 8748444 or www.welfare.ie.


Question 10: I haven’t received my academic results yet, can I still apply?

If you are still waiting for your final results, you may still submit your application in order to minimise delays. If the application does not contain all documents/results, it will still be processed as far as possible. However it is your responsibility to provide the Institute with a certified copy of your final results as soon as they become available so the assessment of your application may be completed. Your application should be as complete as possible and you should include as much of the requested information as you can. If further information is required you will be contacted.


Question 11: When do I need to arrive in Limerick?

We advise our International students to arrive in Ireland a couple of days before their orientation, which is usually the last week of August.


Question 12: Will I be able to open a bank account when I arrive in Ireland?

Yes. During your orientation week here at LIT, there will be an allocated time in the week to set up a bank account with AIB in LIT Molish Campus.


Question 13: What are the English language requirements?

For entry to undergraduate courses a minimum score of 5.5 in an IELTS exam is required. For postgraduate courses, a minimum of 6.0 is needed.